10 June 2012

Collecting Colour : June is White

Well, white has been a rather lovely surprise! Even though the thought of a white collection intimidated me a little, in the end I did two collections because I was having so much fun with it! 

Serendipitously I've been a bit (okay, a lot!) obsessed with collecting white mid-century modern vases over the past twelve months, so the first collection (above) is all of my treasured vessels laid out. 

And yes, I may have put a black and white filter over this shot, which may be considered cheating, but I loved the way it brought out the shadow and pattern - it was hard to resist. As penance I haven't used a filter for any of the other photos in this post, hence the slightly creamier tone in the rest of the pics. (If you're interested the filter I used is the 'red high-contrast filter' from the Lightroom 4 'B&W Filter Presets'.) I loved taking shots of the textures so much, here's just a small selection.
And here they are in their natural habitat! Atop a Gunni Omann rosewood sideboard and with a Lisa Congdon bird print nestled happily amongst them.

My second white collection was a bit more traditional - made up of objects found about the house, including my beloved Fujifilm Instax mini, two hairbrushes, some paper doillies, a lego snowflake (which is going to be a big source of inspiration once xmas rolls around this year!), a vintage beaded purse (which is probably more cream than white but it's just so pretty...), some cotton buds and (of course) a dachshund! So - don't be afraid of white! Dive on in, I'm looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

* * * * * * *

Every month through 2012 I'll be 'collecting colour', and you can join in too!  Link up below, and/or add your photo to the Flickr group here.  And go here to get all the information you need.  


11 comments:

  1. My goodness! What a stunning collection of white vases! Love their texture and shapes and they look so beautiful groupled together.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you like! The vase collection is possibly one of my favourite things in the house right now :)

      Delete
  2. love it. i have the wirkkala polo vase and a vintage kaiser but now i definitly want more! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was the wirkkala polo vase that started the whole thing for me - you have been warned! And ps. I still want more :)

      Delete
  3. i was just about to comment on the texture of the vases too! beautiful photos!

    i love the small cloud factory. i had just been admiring it on downtothewoods.com.au!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a lovely comment, thank you!

      And what a keen eye you have! Yes, the cloud factory is one of my little treasures - I love all of PearsonMaron's stuff (they have an Etsy store too).

      Delete
  4. Your white collections are so beautiful! I love your vases but I also love you put objects like earbuds and your earphones in your other collection. You're so clever!

    I have a few little white things so hopefully I can put something pretty together (I might also be including some creamy whites… hope that's okay!).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes I snuck in a few creamy whites too!

      Delete
  5. I have written this comment a couple of times...I always get stuck here.

    I think your collection is awesome, and those shadows def stand out. I tried really hard not to look at the photos or read the text until AFTER my post was publish because I didn't want to be influenced! I love the textures also. White was fun! I didn't have a lot, but it was neat.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love, love, love your collection of vases! They are absolutely stunning!
    I also have a crush on Pearson Maron and I recognize the cloud factory, they are so cool and creative!
    aleka

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good idea! June's not over yet so I may still add my collection :)
    Cecilia

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happier than you could possibly imagine. Really! Thank you.