03 February 2013

Hong Kong : Through My (fancy new) Lens

Some shots from my recent Hong Kong trip, taken with my fancy new 35mm wide angle lens. I kind of bought this lens on whim - I just had an idea that I wanted a 35mm lens, but hadn't done much more research than that. I went for the new Canon f/2 lens with image stabilisation. 

After reading some online reviews it seems I probably paid too much for this when I should have just gone for Canon's basic 35mm lens...but! I haven't taken this lens off my camera since buying it so no regrets. 

I love the depth of field you can get with it - similar to the 50mm lens but without having to stand a long way away from your subject. There's little bit of 'light fall off' (basically, vignetting) at very low apertures too, which I actually really love. It's solid but light, quick to focus and is one of those lenses that's meant to closely reflect what the eye sees. A new favourite for me!

All of these images where taken just above Central on Hong Kong Island. I normally stay in the area when I visit, it's so full of life. The little streets are crammed with shops selling herbal tea, chinese medicine and all kinds of festive goods; there are wet markets full of fruit, flowers and tofu; and busy dai pai dongs (open-air food stalls). Plus you're only a step away from bars, cafes (including the delicious Mana!), and seriously good coffee (as good as you'll find in Melbourne, and that's a big call!). It's a perfect mix of old and new, slap-dash and mannered.


10 comments:

  1. Congrats on your new toy. Feels like a key to a whole new world doesn't it? Great pics, love all the bright colors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! That is such a great description Jennifer!

      Delete
  2. Oh, now I want a fancy new 35mm lens, too! Lovely shots. Kellie xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Sorry, didn't meant to induce lens envy!

      Delete
  3. Beautiful photos! You're making me want to visit again.
    Love Mana! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Teresa - you will have to go back one day (I hear flights are pretty cheap...). And thanks for the introduction to Mana!, I realised on this trip it's just around the corner from the hotel I normally stay in so it's perfect for a late night tasty meal after a loooong day of trekking about.

      Delete
  4. Great photos! I wanted to buy a 50mm, but after this post, I think 35mm is better!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I do love the clarity the 35mm gives, but I've also had a LOT of fun with my 50mm - it is a much, much cheaper options too if budget is a consideration.

      Delete
  5. Photography is something I really want to focus on and improve this year. This is a great starting point on the tech side - thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great photos! Next time I pass though HK I am definitely getting some tips from you - coffee as good as Melbourne?? Yes please!

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happier than you could possibly imagine. Really! Thank you.