18 March 2014

The Search For The Perfect Sofa

We have one tricky room in our new/old house - the living room. It's kind of small and it's kind of a thoroughfare. At one end there's sliding doors through to the light filled front room which will become our library (soon, I hope, maybe) with floor to ceiling bookcases, cosy seating and our LP player. At the other end it opens out into the airy dining/kitchen area. There's a TV on a stand in one corner and a fireplace along one wall. It's pretty narrow, so if we don't get the sofa right it's going to look a bit like a hallway with random bits of furniture thrown in it. Tricky. 

We've moved out the old sofa already, it was too big for the space. (Pssst - it's currently listed on ebay if you're looking for a super high quality Italian leather lounge suite, all reasonable offers considered…) So for now watching TV involves sitting on the floor whilst balancing two needy dachshunds on your lap. 

And I have a feeling it's going to be like that for some time yet, because I'm searching for the perfect sofa. There's lots of sofas I love, but it's about finding the one that fits perfectly into this tricky little space of ours. 

Here's what's currently on the short list:

(And that's the Jardan Ned sofa right at the top. And yes, I am slightly obsessed with Jardan at the moment. Although the current 'Perfect Sofa' front runner is actually the Softscape modular lounge - it's pretty amazing!) 

Oh the possibilities! So many lovely places to sit! Do you have any sofas you adore? Have you fitted out any tricky spaces in your home? I'd love to hear about it if so...

8 comments:

  1. I vote for #1. Then you can always add a pop of color with throws and pillows...or dogs:) Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jennifer (and yes, hard wearing fabric is at the top of my wish list - our dogs are very much indoor dogs!). I've just asked for a quote on a scaled down version of #1…I love it too!

      Delete
  2. I LOVE #3 - it's got that mid-century modern vibe! I have a vintage couch & 2 armchairs that are from that mid-century era that I wish I had enough money to get reupholstered! I have a similar couch issue with an L shaped living area with a massive window along 1 wall, and specific spots which are no-gos with the heater, tv access points and aircon units so there was really only 1 spot the couch could go, and luckily ours has quite a narrow seat so it fit. Good luck! x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I adore #3 too - it makes me a bit weak at the knees actually…but not right for the space, I don't think (and I have a feeling it might be breathtakingly expensive too…!).

      And L shape with limited wall options does sound tricky!

      Delete
  3. I like #4 because the wide arm rests and back are often a great place for dogs to rest and then the seats are still free.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have a bit of a soft spot for #4 too - it looks so soft and squishy! And I love the idea of our faithful hounds perched on the arm rest, but…they aren't called 'lap dogs' for nothing!

      Delete
  4. Oooh! Such fun! I love number five but number three looks super comfy and stylish.

    ReplyDelete

Your comments make me happier than you could possibly imagine. Really! Thank you.